The purpose of these materials is to support facilitators and participants to deeply engage with ideas around mathematical argumentation through structured professional development (PLC or workshop models).
Click on the module icon to access materials and a Facilitation Guide for the module.
Scroll down to access a Professional Development Facilitation Guide Overview that explains more about the materials and how one might use them.
Enjoy exploring mathematical argumentation!
We expect the materials to be used in a variety of ways. One way we envision the professional development being structured is as monthly meetings during the school year. We refer to this structure as the "PLC Format." Another way we envision the professional development being structured is as an intensive, week-long summer workshop, which we referred to as the "Workshop Format."
In the PLC Format, we have plans and activities for about 1.5 hours for each module. In the Workshop Format, we have plans and activities for 3.5 hours for each module.
Each module includes the following resources:
- Slide presentation - PowerPoint file available for updating
- Facilitation Guide -detailed explanations regarding concepts and enactments
- Handouts for all activities - Full set available as PDF; Individual as Word documents for easy editing
- Templates for Opening Activities - community building and/or linking between sessions
- Bridging to Practice activities - intended for use in the Workshop Format
- List of Additional Resources